Friday 9 August 2013

What can I do with these?

I had a rummage through a couple of charity shops in the last few days.  The first one was really dire, drab colours and really old stuff.  The crazy thing was there was not one item I saw that was under £4.  I just walked out. I have noticed this before that items are much more expensive than they used to be.  I often bought things on the off chance as they looked nice and I might please someone with them.  Now I look at items and go "HOW much?"  I realise that it is for charity, but instead of spending maybe £5 or£10 every two/ three weeks I now very rarely buy anything at all.  I presume I am not the only one so takings must be down for all these charities.  I wandered down the road to Store 21 and managed to find some BRAND NEW tops for £1.99 each and a couple of scarves for £4.

Then on Thursday I decided to check one of my local charity shops out to see if it was the same.  I walked in and immediately I could see some nice items.  Unfortunately the prices were higher than they used to be, but at least the clothes were nice. 



Here are the items I bought, you can see the three new tops (top left and bottom right) and the scarves that I plan to use to turn them into something unique.  I also picked up a cute red blouse that I plan to change into a waistcoat.  I love the teeny heart buttons and the textured flowers. There was a denim skirt too, with loads of pretty details but also a tiny hole. I have got some crafty plans for it too and the hole will not be visible any more. There was a top with a beautiful embroidered edging. No idea what I am going to do with it but it will be something special eventually.  The long dress was given to me and it will take a bit of imagination to make it pretty but I will succeed I am sure to turn it into something much more wearable.  I will keep you posted on the progress on these projects.

I would love to hear your thoughts about charity shops, upcycling and reusing clothes.

3 comments:

Keri Kight said...

I love shopping at thrift stores, as they're are so many nifty things to find. I can spend a few hours trying on the clothes and looking at the random knickknacks. A few of my favorite pieces of clothing were purchased at a thrift store.

Whimsy Woo Miniatures said...

I don't buy things as much any more from Charity Shops either.

But I was tempted by two absolutely beautiful cross stitch pictures of Japanese Geisha girls recently. They are quite large but extremely fine work. I plan to turn them into large appliques but no idea yet what to use them on! LOL

Shirley x

Unknown said...

I know what you mean! slim pickings - we have a New Mills here; they sell new and donated stock, but most of the donated doesn't look worn or washed, maybe charities are sending their 'best stuff' there for a pound in the hand...? Prices are a pound or two higher than the charity shops who don't seem to have anything 'good' left. Also people have ebay plus smartphone, easy money - that must hit charity shops hard.